Wednesday, April 11, 2012

This article in the Guardian about what and why those authors reread got me thinking about my own rereading.

I tend not to reread, because the sheer number of books I have to get through on my own shelves leaves me slightly panicky -- I'm not going to be able to finish everything before I die! Add the titles encountered in day-to-day online explorations and the never-ending excursions to the libraries and bookstores... Is it normal to have anxiety attacks over this?

Sometimes I wonder if I've turned into a person who loves the idea of reading more than the actual activity.

Or I really just need to be online less, and bury my nose in books so action can catch up with desire. Something like that.

Anyhow, there have been books I have given in to revisiting. And I think the whole point of this is, I wanted an excuse to make a list -- just a short, incomplete (faulty memory) one.

American Gods / Neil Gaiman
The Bell Jar / Sylvia Plath
The Fountainhead / Ayn Rand
Revolutionary Road / Richard Yates
The Virgin Suicides / Jeffrey Eugenides
Stardust / Neil Gaiman
Neverwhere / Neil Gaiman
The Sandman / Neil Gaiman
Wasted / Marya Hornbacher
Norwegian Wood / Haruki Murakami
The Wind-up Bird Chronicle / Haruki Murakami
One Day / David Nicholls
The Great Gatsby / F. Scott Fitzgerald
Pride and Prejudice / Jane Austen
Great Expectations / Charles Dickens
Wuthering Heights / Emily Bronte

American Gods may or may not count, because my second reading was of the tenth anniversary Gaiman's preferred text edition. Also, The Sandman, The Unbearable Lightness of Being and The Fountainhead are titles I long to thumb through every few years.

Which brings me to the second tiny list in my head, of books I plan to reread when the time is right (or when I've forgotten enough of it).

You or Someone Like You / Chandler Burr
Middlesex / Jeffrey Eugenides
Bonjour Tristesse / Françoise Sagan
Atonement / Ian McEwan
Brideshead Revisited / Evelyn Waugh
Blue Nights / Joan Didion
The Age of Innocence / Edith Wharton

(Yup, it's a very slow day at work. Do you have a reread/ to reread list? Tell me!)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have one too!
1) Never let you go
2) The accidental
3) Love in the time of cholera
4) Tender is the night
5) Catch22
6) A fraction of the whole
7) The third policeman
8) The secret history
9) On the road