Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Family

Bernard Madoff gets a 150-year sentence. I have to admit my jaw dropped a little. I wonder what happened on December 10, 2008. I wonder what was going on in his mind when he confessed to his sons, what they were thinking when their father's words hit them, what went through their heads when they blew the whistle on their father.

I recently read a book about the Jimmy Choo business. I learnt many things, including the fact that Tamara Mellon filed a lawsuit against her mother Ann Yeardye over the ownership of some Jimmy Choo stocks. Because of the 'misunderstanding' they were no longer on speaking terms.

Tamara said: "I am baffled by my mother's refusal to return assets which rightfully do not belong to her."

Her mother was reportedly "very disappointed".

And in a less realistic but no less ridiculous Ultimatum (local drama series) world, I watched Zoe Tay kill both her mothers and one brother and stare ominously at her paralysed, bedridden father.

The drama series is absurd because the plot is so ridiculous but we know it's just TV and things like that don't happen in real life (I think) so there's no need to dwell over it or be troubled by it.

Tamara Mellon can't be as baffled as I am. Maybe I don't understand because I don't have that kind of money to fight over. But how do you sue your own mother over money? How do you decide to rat on your own father? What goes on in their heads when people do things like that?

2 comments:

kid said...

i think i can't understand the jimmy choo shares.. but the madoff one.. the magnitude is too big. i don't think the tamara mellon case hurts anybody outside of the famly, but the madoff case hits a lot of pple. different la.

supposedly 150 yrs is to ensure he prob will not get out. cos he could be put on parole after serving 1/3 of his sentence. but of course there're pple asking y tax payers are paying to feed n care for him til he dies(probably).

wallfleur_mama said...

yeah i know the magnitude is very big, i don't have a problem with his sentence, just found his sentence rather amazing.

it's the bit abt his sons that intrigues me. i mean, i can tell you that if it was my own parents who did something like that, i would not rat on them.

the same can be asked for a lot of ppl in jail isn't it? but i suppose in his case, leaving him poor and out there to deal with the scorn of the public might be a scarier punishment.